Adopting a dog is one of the most rewarding experiences in life, sure it comes with great responsibilities, perhaps the first of them – choosing from a list of best dog names for your forever buddy.
‘What’s in a name?’ quipped Shakespeare but if you see it from a dog’s perspective, its everything. A dog’s name isn’t just a name… it is what gets included one way or the other in your passwords or sign-offs in your greeting cards.
Picking a name for your dog is no easy task as it has to meet your dog’s personality (and yours too). Choose a name you love and she responds to with that fond wag of a tail – every time that this string of alphabets rolls on your tongue you know that happiness is approaching in an instant! That sheer joy is what naming your doggo is all about.
Tips for choosing your dog’s name
- Choose a Name That Ends With a Vowel – Dogs distinguish frequency ranges at a much higher level than we do. With a vowel name, it’s really easy to get their attention.
- Dogs Prefer ‘Short’ Sounds so a short name suits them more. Also worth noting is that names eventually get trimmed, Kaalicharan becomes Kaali.
- Try not to name your dog after controversial figures – what did the doggo do to deserve the infamy? So Hitler, Kim Jong, Osama are outta contention.
- Test out your favourite choices with your dog to see which one he prefers.
Best dog names
The rich sense of smells and sounds apart, the most gifted of our canine friends have a vocabulary of about 300 odd words. In this set is contained everything – toys, treats, trains and you. Yet there is a sound to which dogs’ ears are best attuned to, that of their name.
Indian dog names for that adorable desi dog you’ve adopted
- Nirvana (meaning: a transcendent state in one is released from the cycle of death and rebirth.)
- Karma (meaning: the result of one’s actions)
- Mowgli or Baloo (Jungle Book, anyone?)
- Amaya (meaning: innocent)
- Falgun (meaning: spring season)
- Yogi (for all those yoga practitioners)
- Babu (Because why should only boyfriends have this moniker?)
- Gabru (meaning: youthful)
- Pihu (meaning: the sound of birds chirping)
- Malang (meaning: nomad)
- Sheru (meaning: affectionate slang for ‘lion’)
- Batuk (meaning: Boy)
- Chinnu (meaning: Spontaneous)
- Gauri (meaning: white)
Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan’s dog is named ‘Shanouk’ which means ‘Gentle warm breeze during a cold morning’.
Popular pet names inspired by pop culture
- Arya and Ghost (Game of Thrones)
- Keanu (after Keanu Reeves – the nicest man in Hollywood)
- GaGa (You guessed who)
- Loki and Thor (The Avengers)
- Rock (Wrestler turned actor The Rock)
- Kim (Kardashian)
- Mocha and Oreo (food inspired)
- Snoopy (Peanuts)
- Hobbes (Calvin and Hobbes)
- Nairobi and Professor (Money Heist)
Popular Male Dog names
Popular female dog names
We hope you find inspiration to name your pet after reading through the above lists. It is just the beginning of one great adventure!
Can we guess your pet’s name without vowels?
Write in your pet’s name without any vowels and other people have to guess what it is.
e.g. If your pet’s name is Pixie… scribble P_x_ _
Let us know your cat or dog’s name (with missing vowels) in the comments below and we will try guessing it!
Know of other unique or funny pet names? Please suggest to us!