Dog people almost always have doubts with regard to which dog food(s) are safe to be shared with dogs. With a hoard of options available commercially – the blatant noise can make even the earnest of dog lovers confused as to what to choose?
Choosing a dog food dog should be easy, but with so many options, it can be surprisingly tough to make the right choice. Have you ever come across a dog who doesn’t like treats?
Neither have we.
But there’s so much to dog treats than just leisurely snacking.
Treats are an integral part of your dog’s daily routine – they not only help you bond better with your pets but also provide nutritional support. However, there are some important things to consider before offering your dog a treat.
Healthy dog treats
- The treats for puppies need to provide nutrition and aid digestion. Fennel seeds are great for it as they boost immunity too.
- Don’t give your dog any treats containing garlic, onion, chocolate, and grapes in the form of table scraps as they can be harmful and even deadly.
3. Treats for adult dogs should aim at supporting skin health and overall fitness in adult dogs. Treats for adult dogs should be enriched with flax seeds that are known to support dogs’ skin and fitness. Gokshura also promotes overall fitness in dogs.
4. Treats with excessive levels of sodium or fat may be dangerous for your cat or dog. (Watch out for the label)
5. Try Vegetable or Fruit treats: Vegetables like carrot, green bean and broccoli make for healthy dog treats. Similarly, fruits like Banana slices, berries, watermelon and apple slices (without seeds) are great snacks too.
Tip: When to give dog treats?
In between meals is the ideal time to give treats.
6. In case your dog is allergic to certain foods, please ensure that their treats are monitored too.
7. Senior dogs are in particular risk of joint-related ailments, Healthy treats for seniors (fortified with the drumstick) can help your dog control stress and provides that much-needed care for his joints.
What ingredients should you look for in healthy dog treats?
Like your dog’s everyday food, his treats too should be balanced. Dog treats should have a combination of nutrients and vitamins your pet needs to maintain a healthy and balanced diet. It should also cater to their specific requirements at each stage of their lives. Treats with herbal ingredients not only promote dogs’ wellness but also come with no side effects.
As a general rule of thumb, the more unfamiliar the words are on the label, the worse is food for your dog. Look out for ingredients that are recognizable and avoid preservatives and high fat or sodium treats.
— Abhishek Joshi (@kaalicharan) March 3, 2017
What makes a balanced dog food?
Dog foods should have a combination of nutrients and vitamins your pet needs to maintain a healthy and balanced diet. The serving size of dog food should be as per the breed type, body weight, and activity level.
With multiple options available in the market, finding affordable, high-quality dog food may seem even tougher. Here are our recommendations as per your dog’s life stage:
Dog Food for Puppies:
The dietary requirements of puppies are different from an adult dog. They need resistance to external threats – parasites, allergens, etc. and need immunity boosters. Himalaya Healthy Pet food contains over 20 nutrients, vitamins, and minerals, which provides a perfect balance of nutrition and is fortified with herbs for additional health benefits for puppies.
The herbal ingredients like Black Pepper, Oats and Papaya not only promote dogs’ wellness but also come with no side effects.
- Black pepper – supports immunity
- Oats – helps in maintaining healthy skin and shiny coat
- Papaya – helps support digestion
Dog Food for Adults:
Adult dogs need balanced food that aims at supporting overall fitness, skin health, etc. Himalaya Healthy pet food is a complete and balanced food with over 20 nutrients, vitamins, and minerals, which provides a perfect balance of nutrition and is fortified with herbs for additional health benefits for adult dogs.
- Popola – promotes metabolism
- Tree of heaven – supports kidney function
- Guduchi – supports immunity and promotes glucose metabolism.
Here’s to happy (and healthy) snacking!