As a doting pet parent, you want the very best of dog nutrition for your furry companion but with the onslaught of choices at supermarket shelves and e-marketplaces, do you really know what ingredients are making their way to your dog’s bowl?
In the times of GMO food, we can’t stress enough about the importance of a diet with minimal artificial ingredients – additives, preservatives, and fillers. This is as true for humans as for the dogs.
Dog nutrition as per life stage of the dog
For pet food to be “complete and balanced,” it must meet nutritional guidelines as per the dog’s life stages.
Puppies and kittens need higher levels of vitamins, minerals, and calories to help their bodies grow.
Puppies require about 25-per cent protein in their meals, along with vitamins, minerals, and essential Omega 3 & 6 oils. These ingredients will help your puppy develop a strong brain, good joints, and a healthy coat. (You may consult your vet for breed-specific requirements).
Puppy meals must provide for:
- Well-balanced nutritional analysis that is fit for a puppy
- Small, easy to chew kibble
- High-calorie count
Adult dog nutrition
Similarly, adult dogs tend to have a sedentary lifestyle as they age, the nutritional supplement they need must aid their bone health, etc. About 18 per cent protein content suffices for their needs.
For senior dogs with joint issues or arthritis, try opting for food ingredients that will help supplement good joint mobility without causing them further pain.
Foods with below ingredients can help reduce inflammation in your dog’s joints.
Pregnant and nursing pets also need additional vitamins and calories than other pets.
Food recommendations for dogs with urinary issues
Some dogs may be prone to getting urinary tract infections, or bladder stones if you aren’t careful. A dog’s diet can help foster good urinary tract health:
- Opt for slightly acidic food. (cranberries can help).
- Diet with a low protein, phosphorus, and magnesium content helps prevent large bladder stones from forming.
- Light salt content to help encourage your dog to drink more, which is great to help urinary health.
Homemade dog food
The distinct advantage of preparing your dog’s meal yourself is that you know exactly the source as well as the quality of the ingredients. If you are opting for homecooked meals for your pet instead of commercial options, please ensure that it contains protein, fibre, and carbohydrates.
Best Dog Food For Overweight Dogs
We’ve all had a little extra weight on ourselves at one time or another, and dogs are no different. Like humans, some dogs are just prone to being overweight. From thyroid problems to overeating, there are many reasons that dogs gain too much weight.
Dog food for overweight dogs
Adjusting your dog’s diet and ensuring exercise regimen can go a long way in ensuring prime fitness of your furry friend. If the weight gain is sudden and there’s uneven growth/lump in the body, please take your vet’s opinion.
While fixing your dog’s diet to help him lose weight, look out for foods which are:
- Rich in protein
- have less fat content and calories
- Jambira (Citrus Limon) is a natural deodorizer that has a refreshing citrus fragrance and is great for your dog.
- Aloe Vera is as good for your dog as for you. It can be applied in case of minor burns, skin irritation, etc.
- Ushira (Vetiveria zizanioides) is a root that has insect repelling properties.
- Tulasi (Ocium basilicum) is a herbal antiseptic and antibacterial which soothes and cools your pet’s coat.
- Calendula flowers have anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties and can be used to treat wounds.
- Ginger is effective to treat your dog’s upset tummy.
- Neem (Nimba) relieves itching, redness, and irritation. It combats bacterial and fungal skin infections, thus improving immunity against skin infections.
- Eucalyptus (Tailaparni) has antiseptic and germicidal properties, which keep insects at bay and promote overall skin health. The essential oil of Eucalyptus also heals superficial cuts and wounds quickly.
If you are looking for commercially available dog food, we recommend Himalaya Healthy Pet food.
Healthy PET food – Puppy offers a unique blend of nutrition – Black Pepper – Oats – Papaya for puppies to help boost their growth and immunity.
Healthy PET food – Adult is a complete and balanced Food for dogs and contains the goodness of Popala – Tree of Heaven and Guduchi. It has over 20 nutrients, vitamins, and minerals, which provides a perfect balance of nutrition and is fortified with herbs for additional health benefits for adult dogs.