Mumbai, the maximum city, is always brimming with motion. Along with the hustle that’s ingrained in the city DNA, it is easy to spot an animal needing medical help or a forever loving home. If you are looking for a furry friend in Mumbai, please adopt, don’t shop.
Here is a list of NGOs, dog shelters and animal helplines in Mumbai you may reach out to in case of emergencies involving animals. Please note, if the injury to the animal is grave and serious, kindly consider to arrange for the nearest vet. It may cost a little extra but you may just save an innocent life!
1. The Bombay Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (BSPCA) is a charitable organization in existence since 1874. They offer rescue operations and relief to animals in need.
Services: Adoption centre, ambulance service, blood and plasma transfusion, pet care facility, electric crematorium and hospital.
Address: Dr. S. S. Rau Road, Parel, Bombay – 400012.
Phone: +91-22- 24137518 (to report animal cruelty cases in Mumbai) 24135285 / 24135434.
2. All India Animal Welfare Association (AIAWA) has facilities to offer Animal Birth control, immunization, anti-rabies treatment, general surgery, general medical treatment for small animals.
Address: Dr. E Moses Road
Dhobi Ghat, Mahalaxmi (East), Mumbai – 400011
Phone: +91-22- 23094077
Open 24 hours, Monday – Saturday
3. Animals Matter to Me (AMTM) runs a shelter cum hospital in Malad, Mumbai and offers services like adoption, animal shelter, medical treatment, sterilisation and even an animal ambulance. They rescue dogs, treat them, hold programs to make people more aware of animal compassion and animal rights.
Address: Plot No.13,14,15, Chikuwadi Lane, Opp Jari Mari Temple Lane, Malad – Marve Rd, Marve, Mumbai, Maharashtra – 400095
Phone: +91 99677 95660
Open from 12:30 pm – 5:30 pm Monday – Saturday
Open from 1:00 pm – 4 pm Sunday.
4. In Defense of Animals (IDA) offers sterilization, treatment of injured animals – surgical care, rehabilitation and shelter facilities. They also have mobile vans manned by para-vets and move in the eastern suburb of Mumbai and the entire city of Navi Mumbai.
Address: Near Deonar Colony,
Bainganwadi, Deonar, Mumbai – 400043
Open from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm, Monday – Saturday
Address: Swan Niyantran Kenra, Opposite Pfizer Gate,
Inside the gate of Sanjivani Construction Crusher, Near Lubrizol Company, Turbhe Naka. Navi Mumbai
5. PAWS helps with rescue, first aid, vaccinations, animal rights awareness and dog adoption in Mumbai. They have a fleet of 3 ambulances, one fully operational rescue centre and a dedicated volunteer network.
PAWS Shelter Address: Crystal Homes Premises, Village Nahave, Murbad-Karjat Road, National Highway 222, Murbad – 421401, Thane.
Helpline Domestic animals: +91 9820161114 (10:00 am – 06:00 pm)
Helpline Wildlife: +91 9920777536 (24 Hrs)
6. Thane SPCA started out by bringing medical aid and relief to animals on the road. Now with their shelter, they offer rescue and rehabilitation of the injured animals.
Address: N.K.T Compound, Kolshet Road, Besides Brahmand Complex, Azadnagar, Thane – 400607
Open from 10:00 am – 6 pm, Monday – Friday.
7. Youth Organisation in Defence of Animals (YODA) helps with the rescue, rehabilitation, medical-aid, and background research of prospective pet adopters.
Address: YODA, 3 Swami Vivekanand Road, Mahim Koliwada, Mahim (West).
Phone: +91 9819008110, 9870252558 (WhatsApp only)
Open from 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
8. Mumbai Animal Association (MAA) helps with rescue and rehabilitation of street animals in suburban Mumbai (Kandivali, Borivali and Dahisar). This responsibility is undertaken in-network with organisations working in the region for animal welfare along with local volunteers and support staff.
Open from 10:00 am – 7:00 pm.
9. Ahimsa works towards Animal birth control, first aid and minor medical care.
Address: I-B, Ramchandra Ln, Evershine Nagar, Malad West, Mumbai – 400064.
Admission and OPD timings 10:00 am – 1:00 pm
10. The Welfare of stray dogs (WSD) looks after stray dogs and also tries finding homes for them through adoption drives. They work actively towards the eradication of Rabies.
Address: Adarsh Nagar, Lower Parel, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400013 Contact: 089760 22838
While the organisations working for the welfare of animals seek monetary assistance, you may also help them by volunteering or donating newspapers, old clothes etc.
Know of any other Mumbai based organisation or individuals doing great work for the stray cause and emergencies? Please suggest in the comments below. Please remember, sometimes the best of the animal helplines in Mumbai can be no further than you, help with whatever you can!