Dry skin in dogs is fairly common but identifying the reasons behind it and treating them often get unnoticed. Dryness occurs when the skin is unable to retain moisture.
How to tell if your dog has dry skin?
• Is your dog troubled by itchiness?
• What about dandruff or hair loss?
• Is there inflammation?
• Body odor?
What causes dry skin in dogs?
1. Temperature variances Dry climate aside; AC, heaters can rob your dog’s skin of the essential moisture, resulting in dry skin.
2. Nutrient deficiency in diet – dry skin with a dull, brittle, thin coat could also be a sign of protein deficiency. Dogs need fatty acids in their diet for optimal skin and coat health, especially omega-3.
3. Excessive bathing – how often depends on your dog’s skin, for a dog with dry skin, once a month is good.
As for shampoos, you may try Erina EP Shampoo and Powder, enriched with herbal ingredients, to control ectoparasites like ticks, fleas, and lice and promote overall skin health.
4. Grooming related issues – for instance, not turning down the heat on the blow dryer or applying made for humans moisturizers on dogs.
5. In some cases, Neutering/Spaying may also result in dry skin. Consult your vet for the same.
How to treat dry skin in dogs?
1. Vitamin E can work wonders for your dog’s dry skin. Just break a capsule and rub the oil on your dog’s dry, itchy patches.
2. Yogurt helps boost your dog’s immune system – keeping skin infections at bay.
3. Oatmeal poured into a bath or a shampoo is a potent remedy for itching, inflamed skin.
4. Baking Soda– Prepare a thick paste by using a 50/50 mix of baking soda and water. Apply to affected areas of your dog’s skin, leave for 20 minutes, and then rinse off.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar– Prepare a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar with water, and use a spray bottle to apply it to affected areas.
6. Brush your dog regularly as it helps distribute essential oils along the fur. (And also checks the buildup of dead flakes)
7. Coconut oil is excellent for your dog’s coat and general health
8. Keep your dog safe from ticks and fleas.
In case of severe dry skin related issues – we recommend you to visit the vet at the earliest.
Got any recommendations or natural treatments to treat dry skin in dogs? Please share with us in the space below.