Revving up the new week, here are the best dog quotes from the ‘Dog with Blog’s facebook page’. There is something about these dog quotes that add a tincture of humour to spruce up your day and at times the whimsical poignancy of the written word to caress you into a lullaby, with your dog by your side, of course!
This collection of pet love quotes has a motley of funny observations, cute dog quotes and some profoundly deep philosophic selections celebrating our trusted forever companions.
- “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum.” (“Love me, love my dog.”) ~ St. Bernard, A.D. 1150, “Sermo Primus”
- A dog doesn’t care if you’re rich or poor, educated or illiterate, clever or dull. Give him your heart and he will give you his. ~Marley & Me
3. Dogs are the perfect people. They leave a mark, never a scar.
4. “Did you ever see an unhappy horse? Did you ever see a bird that had the blues? One reason why birds and horses are not unhappy is that they are not trying to impress other birds and horses.”~Dale Carnegie (Not exactly a dog quote but would be apt for animal)
5. “One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you’re feeling blue is that he doesn’t try to find out why.”
6. “A dog is the only thing that can mend a crack in your broken heart.”
7. “Don’t walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don’t walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and be my friend.”- Albert Camus
Also see: What you lose when you lose your dog?
8. ‘The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.’ —Andy Rooney
9. “I am I because my little dog knows me.”― Gertrude Stein
10. “Like all dogs, Skip was colorblind. He made friends easily with people of all races and origins. The town was segregated back then, but as we know, dogs are a whole lot smarter than people” ~My Dog Skip
11. “For me, a house becomes a home when you add a set of four legs, a happy tail, and that indescribable measure of love that we call a dog.”
12. “A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn’t care if you are rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he’ll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary.”~John Grogan, Marley & Me
13. “My fashion philosophy is, if you’re not covered in dog hair, your life is empty.” – Elayne Boosler
14. “If you still think you are a young pup then you are, no matter what the calendar says” — John Grogan
15. “A hound will die for you but never lie to you.” —George R. R. Martin
16. “If you think dogs can’t count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two.” — Phil Pastoret
17. “A dog can express more with his tail in seconds than his owner can express with his tongue in hours.”
18. ‘Dogs do speak, but only to those who know how to listen.’ —Orhan Pamuk
19. “There never yet has been a dog who learned to double-cross, nor catered to you when you won then dropped you when you lost.” —Mary Hale
20. “Dogs never bite me. Just humans.” — Marilyn Monroe
21. “Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate.” — Sigmund Freud
22. “A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.” — Josh Billings
23. “The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man’s.” — Mark Twain
24. “When a man’s best friend is his dog, that dog has a problem.” — Edward Abbey
25. “My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can’t decide whether to ruin our carpet or ruin our lives.” — Rita Rudner
26. “Dog love is safer, perhaps more satisfying: Dogs can’t betray us, undermine us, tell us they’re angry or bored. Dogs can’t leave.” — John Katz
27. “A dog will teach you, unconditional love. If you can have that in your life, things won’t be too bad.” —Robert Wagner
28. “Did you know that there are over three hundred words for love in canine?” —Gabrielle Zevin
29. “We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet; and amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog has made an alliance with us.” —Max DePree
See also: Dog loss quotes
30. “I have found that when you are deeply troubled, there are things you get from the silent devoted companionship of a dog that you can get from no other source.” —Doris Day
31. “My dogs have been the reason I have woken up every single day of my life with a smile on my face.” —Jennifer Skiff
32. “Only my dogs will not betray me.” —Maria Callas
33. “A dog creates, transcribes, a new landscape for you. A dog like Colter sharpens your joy of all the seasons, and for a while, sometimes a long while, such a dog seems capable, by himself alone, of holding time in place–of pinning it, and holding it taught. And then when he is gone, it is as if the world is taken away. Dogs like that are young for what seems like a very long time…
Once you have lost a dog–especially the first you trained from a pup, the one you first set sail into the world with–you can never fully give of yourself to another dog. You can never again look at a dog you love without hedging a tiny bit, if only subconsciously, against the day when that dog, too, must leave. You can never again hunt or enter the future so recklessly, so joyously, with that weight of forethought.
As I sleep restlessly, night after night, or more often, as I lie there awake, I can see him running and I feel guilty that I am not there to honor the birds he is finding… One way or the other, he is still out there running. He will never rest…
I will always want him to know a moment’s rest and peace, and he will always know in his hot heart that the only peace to be gotten is by never resting, by always pushing on. He is my Colter… I am still his, and he is still mine.”― Rick Bass, Colter: The True Story of the Best Dog I Ever Had
34. “My idea of absolute happiness is to be in bed on a rainy day with my blankie, my cat, and my dog.” – Anne Lamott
35. “The poor dog, in life the firmest friend. The first to welcome, foremost to defend.” – Lord Byron
36. “When an 85-pound mammal licks your tears away and then tries to sit on your lap, it’s hard to feel sad.” – Kristan Higgins
37. “There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog.” – Konrad Lorenz
38. “Intelligent dogs rarely want to please people whom they do not respect.” – W.R. Koehler
39. “Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that is how dogs spend their lives.” – Sue Murphy
40. “Some of our greatest historical and artistic treasures we place with curators in museums; others we take for walks.”– Roger A. Caras
41. “Life is a series of dogs.” – George Carlin
42. “Dogs are wise. They crawl away into a quiet corner and lick their wounds and do not rejoin the world until they are whole once more.” – Agatha Christie
43. “If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.”– Woodrow Wilson
44. “Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.” – Groucho Marx
45. “Fall in love with a dog, and in many ways you enter a new orbit, a universe that features not just new colors but new rituals, new rules, a new way of experiencing attachment.” – Caroline Knapp
46. “The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous, is his dog.” – George Graham
47. “All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. For, after all, he was only human. He wasn’t a dog.” – Charles M Schulz
48. “I like dogs. You always know what a dog is thinking. It has four moods. Happy, sad, cross, and concentrating. Also, dogs are faithful and they do not tell lies because they cannot talk.” – Mark Haddon
49. “I’ve seen a look in dogs’ eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically, dogs think humans are nuts.” – John Steinbeck
50. “They [dogs] never talk about themselves but listen to you while you talk about yourself, and keep up an appearance of being interested in the conversation.” – Jerome K. Jerome
51. “No matter how you’re feeling, a little dog gonna love you.” – Waka Flocka Flame
52. “A dog will make eye contact. A cat will, too, but a cat’s eyes don’t even look entirely warm-blooded to me, whereas a dog’s eyes look human except less guarded. A dog will look at you as if to say, ‘What do you want me to do for you? I’ll do anything for you.’ Whether a dog can, in fact, do anything for you if you don’t have sheep [I never have] is another matter. The dog is willing.” – Roy Blount Jr.
53. Love is a four-legged word.
54. ‘If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.’— Will Rogers
55. “Petting, scratching, and cuddling a dog could be as soothing to the mind as deep meditation and almost as good for the soul as prayer” – Dean Koontz
56. “You know, a dog can snap you out of any kind of bad mood that you’re in faster than you can think of.”— Jill Abramson
57. “Such short little lives our pets have to spend with us, and they spend most of it waiting for us to come home each day.”
— John Grogan, Marley and Me.
What’s your favourite pet love quote? Did we leave it out in this list, please share in the comments below.