Is your dog an obsessive licker? Does he frequently scratch the floor or his skin? Chances are your furry friend is suffering from an allergy.
Dog allergies are one of the most commonly diagnosed pet health issues. As responsible pet parents, it is always good to discover the dog allergies that your pooch may be suffering so that you may take necessary counteraction.
In this post, we will explore various dog allergies and some dog allergy treatments you can try out in your homes.
You are your dog’s first line of defense so it is imperative that as responsible pet parents you know about the various allergens and dog allergies. Knowing the symptoms and ailments would help you ensure that your dog gets the best care possible.
How to identify and treat common Dog Allergies?
The dog allergies can be classified into the following four broad categories:
1. Insect Bite Allergy: Be it flea bites or any other insect bite, dogs may get severe pain and skin allergies from it.
2. Inhalant Allergy: Is your pup sneezing? It may be because of inhalant allergies – tree pollen, grass, weed, mold, mildew, and dust mites. Please let go of the air fresheners and scented candles. A dog’s sense of smell is at least 40 times more sensitive than ours. Artificial scents are an assault on their noses.
Second-hand smoke from cigarettes is also a threat to your dog.
3. Contact Allergy: Sometimes your dog may develop skin irritation towards a host of things – pesticide on the lawn, carpet rug or wool. You may discover it by observing where your dog seems to scratch the most and then by removing potential allergen.
Some dogs are also allergic to latex rubber (balls, squeaky toys, etc).
Also read: How to help your itchy dog?
4. Food Allergy: Like humans, dogs too can develop allergies towards food items – dairy, gluten etc. It can be treated by elimination of the respective food item from the dog’s diet.
Dog allergy treatments you can try at home
Just like in humans, allergies can range from mild to the medically grave depending on sensitivity. There are various home remedies for your dog’s symptoms that you can easily prepare using household items.
1. Oatmeal bath to get rid of your dog’s itching – Mix about a handful of oatmeal in cool water, and use this to wash your dog’s skin.
2. Baking soda to relieve insect bites –Mix baking soda in some cool water and apply it gently on the skin infected by an insect bite.
3. Coconut oil has strong antifungal and antibacterial properties -If you add in a little turmeric, it would help your dog’s liver to detoxify.
4. Fresh or dried Calendula flowers are great for skin related allergies in dogs.
5. Ashwagandha (Withaniasomnifera) leaves (boiled in water) are a proven anti-inflammatory.
In case your dog has an aggravated case of an allergy, please consult a vet for dermatology advice at the earliest.
Here’s wishing your pooch and you, a happy and prosperous new year!