There would be times when you would come across incidents where a dog has been abandoned by a family. The reason may be because of an injury the dog suffered, a disease that he caught, re-location of the family because of job changes etc. If you divulge into the deeper details, all these are merely lame excuses. If you get a dog, remember he is family! And you don’t really shun a family member on the above accounts. It’s rather better to not have adopted a pet than to treat him as a commodity destined for the same fate as that of a tawdry fashion item. My nostrils flare when such gross news is reported. Please understand that it’s a beating heart full of love, loyalty & a friendship that you have adopted. There are responsibilities that you must live up to. Please, remember that you are the harbinger of joy and the elixir of life for the muted species. You are the hope and he is the heart!
Also see: Dog adoption Guide
Some websites regard the following as the rules for dog lovers while others quote them in the Biblical lines as 10 COMMANDMENTS. Consider it as the voice of the dog.
Before you adopt a dog
- My life is likely to last 10 – 15 years. Any separation from you will be painful for me. Remember that BEFORE you get me.
- Give me time to understand what you want from me.
- Place your trust in me; it is crucial to my well being.
- Don’t be angry with me for long, and don’t lock me up as punishment.
- Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don’t understand your words, I understand your voice.
- Be aware that however you treat me, I’ll never forget.
- Please don’t hit me. I can’t hit back, but I can bite and scratch and I really don’t want to do that.
- Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I’m not getting the right foods or I’ve been out in the sun too long or my heart is getting old and weak!
- Take care of me when I get old. You will get old too.
- Go with me on difficult journeys. NEVER say, “I can’t bear to watch, or let it happen in my absence.” Everything is easier for me if you are there. And always remember, I LOVE YOU!