An adopted German shepherd came to the rescue of the 7-year-old girl, braving multiple rattlesnake bites, refusing to back down till he saw the snake off.
Molly was playing in the garden with her pet, Haus, when rattlesnake suddenly appeared. Despite the danger, Haus leaped to Molly’s rescue and jumped between her and the snake, which attacked and bit him three times, injuring his kidneys.
Brave Dog gets bitten by Rattlesnake to save little girl
“We had adopted Haus just two months ago from a rescue organization. It shows you that a rescue dog, for us, paid it forward by protecting my family. He just exceeded our expectations all the way around. Right away, the kids were hugging and loving on him, he always took it, and he never did anything. Whenever anyone came to the door, he would start barking and try to be protective. He has just been an amazing dog!”
“Without the pain medication, he’s in pain. He’s responsive, he’s alert, and his leg is swollen and uncomfortable,” the doctor said.
— Abhishek Joshi 👨💻🐶 (@kaalicharan) May 14, 2016
The DeLuca family is thankful, but apprehensive, their hero won’t get a welcome home.
“I couldn’t even sleep last night. I barely slept because it is bittersweet. I am doing everything I can. I feel like I owe it to him to keep trying to save him.”
Haus is still recovering in the Intensive Care Unit of Tampa’s Blue Pearl Emergency Veterinary and Specialty Hospital, and is being treated with anti-venom and painkillers.
Each day in the ICU costs between $1000- $1500. Thanks to the efforts of a family friend who started an online fundraising, the campaign has already generated more than $50,000. The family plans to forward any unused donations to a local rescue organization.
As Haus is fighting for his own life against deadly rattlesnake venom, here’s sending him prayers and strength to recuperate real soon.