For countless pet lovers out there, pets are our four-legged children. Ensuring their comfort and happiness is paramount, especially when it comes to dogify their homes. After all, our pets, whether they bark, purr, swim, or chirp, deserve a space where they can roam, play, and feel right at home.
The good news?
Builders and home designers are now more eager than ever to cater to the needs and desires of both us and our beloved animal companions. The unique designs can range from a basic setup to a more elaborate playroom.
This pet first design devotion has grown into an interesting trend that Pinterest calls “barkitecture.” In 2021, it became a big deal as the go-to for “animal-first architecture,” and now pet owners are still going strong, putting their money into spaces that make their furry friends feel happy and comfy.
In a world where our furry friends are family, creating a space that’s not just pet-friendly but downright fabulous is the latest trend in the design scene. Move over, human-centric interiors, it’s time to paw-sonalize your space with flair and tail-wagging style.
What is Barkitecture?
Barkitecture, a dynamic trend, transforms spaces for humans and their furry companions with comfort and style. Initially centered on designing structures exclusively for dogs, it has evolved into a popular movement. Now, Barkitecture seamlessly integrates practical pet-friendly elements into kitchens and bathrooms, making them enjoyable for both humans and dogs. The trend’s enduring popularity stems from the rising demand among pet owners who consider their animals family. These devoted homeowners are investing in homes that truly reflect their deep bond with their four-legged family members.
Let’s delve into why Barkitecture matters and why your pup deserves a space as stylish as they are:
1. Tail-Wagging Trends: Pet parents, especially the millennials, appreciate a trendy and comfortable living space. Barkitecture is all about keeping up with the latest trends in pet-friendly design.
2. Happy Tails, Happy Homes: A well-designed pet space can contribute to a harmonious home. After all, a happy pup means less chewed shoes and more wagging tails.
3. Unleash Your Creativity: Barkitecture is your canvas. From custom doggy beds to personalized feeding stations, it’s an opportunity to let your creativity run wild.
4. Health and Happiness: A well-thought-out Barkitecture isn’t just about aesthetics. It can also promote your dog’s health and happiness by providing them with a comfortable and stimulating environment.
Crafting Your Pooch Palace
In 2022, Americans dished out an estimated $137 billion on their pets, a 10% rise from the previous year. After a pandemic-driven surge, 66% of households in the United States—now have a pet, a significant climb from the 56% recorded in 1988.
If you are in the market to buy a home, making it special for your pet is an easy decision. According to The Guardian, pet parent are splashing the cash on some fancy interior upgrades for their furry pals – Built-in dog showers and baths in entryways for hosing down muddy pups and cool electronic pet doors that only swing open for your pet with a special collar chip. There’s also a trend of stylish kennels, beds, and dog houses along with wanky feeding stations with built-in faucets for easy-peasy water bowl refills.
Now that we’ve established the importance of Barkitecture, let’s jump into the nitty-gritty of crafting a pooch palace that stands out:
1. Barking Up the Right Tree: Flooring and Fabrics – When it comes to Barkitecture, the foundation matters. Here are some paws-itively essential tips:
– Opt for pet-friendly flooring that is both stylish and easy to clean. Think durable hardwood or pet-friendly tiles.
– Choose fabrics wisely. Go for stain-resistant materials to handle unexpected accidents, and aim for fabrics that are both comfortable and complementary to your overall design.
2. Fetching Furniture: Furniture isn’t just for humans. Dogs appreciate a good lounging spot too!
Here’s how to make your furniture both stylish and pet-friendly:
– Invest in pet-friendly furniture that is easy to clean and resistant to scratches.
– Consider a designated doggy corner with a comfy bed and toys, creating a space your pup can call their own.
3. Paws for Thought: Canine-Friendly Colours. Colours play a vital role in Barkitecture.
Keep these tips in mind when selecting a palette:
– Choose colours that complement your dog’s fur and won’t show too much pet hair.
– Opt for pet-safe paints that are easy to clean, ensuring your walls stay pristine despite the occasional shake-off.
4. Doggone Decor: The Finishing Touches. It’s the little details that make a space truly exceptional.
Sprinkle a bit of canine charm with these decor tips:
– Personalize your space with custom pet portraits or paw-print art.
– Integrate storage solutions for toys and pet accessories, keeping your space clutter-free.
The emerging trend in pet-friendly home design involves hidden feeding stations, providing numerous benefits for both pets and owners. In addition to maintaining cleanliness and elevating bowls, these stations add a visually appealing element that complements the overall style of the living space.
To be honest, pets don’t demand decor or fashion accessories, but your love, and yet a pop of colour and a cute sofa hurt no human ever, did it?
Q: Is Barkitecture only for dog owners?
Barkitecture designs spaces for dogs, but the principles can be used to catify your home or create pet-friendly environments. It is a design aesthetic where homes embrace pet-friendly bliss with large fenced yards, dog doors, and even “catios” for your feline friends!
Q: Can Barkitecture be budget-friendly?
A: Absolutely! Many affordable ways to embrace Barkitecture, like DIY projects and repurposing furniture, exist without spending too much money.
Q: How can I keep my Barkitecture stylish and practical?
A: Balance is key. Pick trendy, long-lasting materials, buy furniture that serves multiple purposes, and prioritize your pet’s needs when designing.
In the ever-evolving world of interior design, Barkitecture stands out as a unique and exciting trend. Goodbye old home design, hello new era where we celebrate our furry friends in style, not just accommodate them. When designing a dog house, remember that your imagination is the only limit in Barkitecture.