Dogs and humans have lived together for about 15,000 years, so it comes as a surprise that it was only as recent as 2004 that the concept of National Dog Day was introduced by Animal Advocate Colleen Paige. Celebrated every year on August 26, it has transformed into World Dog Day by spreading from the USA to other countries and aims to draw recognition towards all that the dogs do for the betterment of human civic society. It also serves as a reminder for adopting and rescuing dogs over buying them from breeder mills.
“I want the world to celebrate the dogs for their capacity to love,” Paige said, “and their ability to impact our lives every day in the most miraculous ways.” From putting their lives at stake for national security to helping the disabled, from detecting terror threats to calming the grief-stricken, the friendly neighborhood guardian wins hearts like only a dog can.
Here’s appreciating the love and value that dogs bring to our daily lives, may we strive to do our bit for the homeless and abused dogs.
7 Ways to celebrate World Dog Day:
- Adopt a dog from the street or your local animal shelter (And inspire your friends to do the same instead of buying from a breeder)
- Volunteer in a shelter whenever you can. (Support them with the old newspapers, clothes, food items and toys)
- Get your neighborhood dogs sterilized and vaccinated (consult the local animal welfare NGO and municipal body on ABC – Animal Birth Control program.)
- Try to help someone you know get rid of the fear of dogs. Offer them to walk your dog or play with him, dogs shouldn’t be feared. Given how great the dogs are, it is but too short a life to not discover these wonderful friends.
- Walk up and say Thanks to that rickshaw puller, the army veteran, those little kids who care for roadside puppies and that old man you so often see feeding the stray dogs. Let them know that their efforts are appreciated.
- Assist an ill or elderly neighbor by walking their dog.
- Spend more time with dogs (yours or the ones you bump into)
Snow and Pearl are about 2.5 months old, vaccinated, healthy and very active mixed breed pups (Desi with a dash of golden retriever). Snow (boy) and Pearl (girl) have been together since birth. To adopt these two best of buddies, please call or text Subhajit at 9873170744 or Sugandha at 9871133053, but only if you are sure you can make a commitment for at least 12-15 years! #adoptdontshop #nationaldogday #doglovers #adopt #puppies #Delhi #dogloversofinstagram #dogloversfeed
Over to you, hug your dog!